I had questioned the library guide the day before about the exact route of the procession (it changes every year), and I was pleased to have gotten accurate information from her-- I had a front row space along the barricade to get pictures. When I arrived on campus, the streets were full of English bobbies, plainclothes policemen with earpieces scanning rooftops, and a noisy group of animal rights protestors. At precisely 11:30, the bells of the University Church of St Mary the Virgin began ringing and the procession started, the university chancellor and vice-chancellors in the lead as marshalls.
The remainder of the group followed through Radcliffe Square in their scarlet and blue academic regalia, depending on their degree and area of discipline. They went through the big wooden doors of Bodliean Library's quadrangle, through the Divinity School (see yesterday's entry), and entered the Sheldonian Theatre for the ceremony.
Attendance at this ceremony is by invitation only--closed to the public-- but it was fun to catch a bit of Oxford's grand academic tradition.
--Deb
No comments:
Post a Comment