Thursday, June 5, 2008

Arrived

We arrived safely yesterday right on schedule-- we couldn't have asked for a smoother flight or bus trip up to Oxford. It was a glorious early summer day -- 65 degrees and sunny, so we spent most of the rest of our day walking around Oxford to get our bearings. Our little flat is quite nice and peaceful-- right next to a meadow along the River Cherwell, a tributary of the Thames. It has a highspeed wireless internet connection, no less than 2 coffee presses, and a power shower, so we have all we need.

Right down the street is the Magdalen Bridge, where you can rent a punt.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalen_Bridge
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_(boat)
Deb's attempt at an artistic shot of the punts from Magdalen Bridge

No matter how I try, I don't think I will be able to get Philip to go punting with me. I guess I'll have to wait until Ray and Linda come in July-- they're always up for adventure! We spent some time down on Queen Street shopping for a couple of cheap pay-as-you-go mobile phones and enjoyed the requisite English fish & chips (in butcher paper wrapping) for supper. We made it all the way to 8:00pm before tumbling into bed for the next 12 hours...
--Deb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A flat next to a meadow with a river...I'm drooling. Sounds perfect. Don't forget to come back.
Chris T.

Anonymous said...

is punting a british football (futball) skill??